Wednesday, August 20, 2008

The Juicy Details

In the Middle of No Where, In the Snow, Up Hill Both Ways....

* * JUST KIDDING * *
The gun... 270
*There's a great story behind this gun... ask John sometime!

After the kill...John and Father in Law... STEVE
Friend, Pal, Buddy... DARYL


So, here I am at home, alone, with 3 sick kids
and a teething baby...
Beyond grateful when the phone rings around 5:30 pm and it's John.
Yeah for me... time to vent my day away!!
Oh wait... what? Can't talk? WHY?
Oh, gee... how nice... I'm here at home in charge of EVERYTHING all by MYSELF and you can't talk cause you're going HUNTING!?!
OK... whatever!! Call me later!!
About 7:45 the phone rings and it's John in great excitement...
"HEIDI!!! CAN YOU HEAR ME!?! I GOT AN ELK!!
6 x 6!! I'll call you back!"
(I'll call you back.. John's favorite thing to say!)
Oh... sweet! Great! That's exciting!!
So finally... THIS MORNING I get the juicy details!
Went to the water hole... nothing. Went up a little further, and there HE is...standing there staring at us about 400 yards away. John gets down, gets out the tripod... sets up, and the ELK casually turns BROADSIDE to walk off...
BOOM!! BAM!!! KAPLOW!!
(Nice side effects huh)
They wait a few minutes, and walk (oh RUN actually) down the hill and find him dying under a tree. You know the rest of the story from there!
CONGRATS JOHNNY!!!

3 comments:

Methodical Wormer said...

I bet John is SOOO proud. I can't wait to hear him tell the story himself!

I am so sorry things are totally stinkin' at home for you right now. I hope the kids are better soon!

Cook Family said...

Hi congrats! That thing is huge! I didn't even know you guys had a blog until I saw it on Linz's, I just spent quite awhile catching up ;). I love it, you're family is so cute and you do such fun things! Thanks for letting me check it out.

Rhiannon said...

I don't think I have ever seen an elk that big. Way to go John.
I have to say Heidi you are amazing to be home by yourself with sick kids. I hope they are feeling better.
Oh by the way what do you do with an elk that big?